...and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he? Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever. (Doctrine and Covenants 122: 7-9)

Monday, November 28, 2011

November 21, 2011


I'm getting used to English food but I still don't care for it much. It's just so bland. Even the people here agree. I have, however, gotten to like Indian food, which is very popular here. Just as long as it's not too spicy. I still like Italian and Mexican most, though, and we get fed both somewhat frequently. I still don't like potatoes, but I have found ways to force it down, especially if it's mashed potatoes. Veggies are more of a problem for me because peas and corn are a staple, and I can't stand eating either, especially corn. However, people understand when I tell them I don't care for vegetables and I usually explain it to them before they prepare the meal. Carrots are common though and I do like them. I have gotten to like brocolli and caulliflower as well as cabbage and I already didn't mind eating lettuce, so I can eat quite a few veggies now. I still wouldn't make them on my own to eat. One thing that I had never really tried before that I have confirmed I don't like at all is beans. I just don't like them at all. So, beans, corn, and peas (especially a dish called mushy peas) are what I look out for at appointments. Some of my favorite English food to eat are meat pies (especially chicken meat pies), Yorkshire puddings, and sticky toffee pudding (which has custard in it, different from the custard we use in the States). Grimsby is a seaside town, so it's really big on seafood, which I'll eat, but I don't care for too much. My companion, Elder Dundee, is actually a professional chef, and he loves seafood, so he's pretty excited. He made pancakes from scratch the other day with no recipe and they were probably the best pancakes I've ever tasted. So things should be fun with him. He's only been out 6 months, so we both still have a lot of learning to do about missionary work, and he struggles with the language a little bit still, but it's going to be a good companionship and a great transfer. We are determined to baptize this transfer. Because we are starting completely from scratch with our teaching pool, we only have 1 investigator (who is scheduled for baptism as of yesterday!) and he was found from another missionary, but we are working very hard and getting lots and lots of potential investigators. Grimsby is known around the mission as a bit of a "tough" area, but really, it's not the area that makes the area tough, it's the missionaries who do. Henry Ford once said "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right". We really believe we can do some great things here in Grimsby. We are able to work between the Grimsby 1 and 2 ward because we're Grimsby 2.1, so we have the power to find wherever we feel we need to in the whole general Grimsby area. The other missionaries we live with, Elder Dudgeon (district leader) and Elder Brown, are fantastic missionaries both near the end of their missions. We have a lot we can both learn from them and from eachother. Elder dundee is very easy to get along with and takes advice very well. We have a lot of faith that we can flourish here if we're diligent. Unfortunately I'm out of time to write now, so can you just write a general update for the blog? Thanks. By the way, send letters (not packages) to my address, not the mission office now. It's 39 Humber St., Cleethorpes, Grimsby, DN35 8NN, GBR. Love you all and hope to hear from you soon!
 
Elder Winder

No comments:

Post a Comment